Following Christ, Nurturing Community, Seeking a Just PeaceJoin Us Sundays | Worship 9:15 | Fellowship 10:45 | Sunday School 11:15
First Mennonite Church of Champaign-Urbana is an inclusive congregation trying to follow Jesus by loving God and all our neighbors, caring for one another, and joining the struggle for justice and peace. You are invited to come walk with us!
FMC INITIATIVE & CONVERSATION
AROUND ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
The FMC Service and Outreach Committee together with the Green Team are coordinating an all-church engagement with climate/environmental justice this September. This initiative is endorsed by Church Council as relevant for both our congregational racial justice work and our commitment to holding meaningful conversations across our differences.
There are three parts to the initiative:
1) Attending the Faith in Place keynote address at 4 pm on Sunday, September 13, and at least one other session during the Faith in Place Summit (September 13-17).
2) Virtual FMC conversation groups are being help during week of September 20-27, to discuss perspectives, questions, and take-aways from the keynote and the sessions.
3) Sunday, October 4 – Faith in Place will host a virtual panel presentation at 4 pm to address priorities raised by the conversation groups and make suggestions on steps that can be taken. Registration is free.
WORSHIP STREAMING ONLINE
Sundays at 9:15 am
– View the weekly Orders of Worship –
– Watch worship service recordings: –
- October 4 – Theme is “Season of Creation: Forest”. Virtual Pet Blessing & Celebration of World Communion Sunday.
- October 11 – Theme is “How can we keep from singing?” Guest preacher – Cindy Breeze.
PRACTICE PHYSICAL DISTANCING
All in-person Sunday activities, including worship services, are canceled until further notice. The church building and offices are also closed until further notice. Staff remain available by email and phone.
During this time, priority congregational updates will be shared through the First Mennonite Church email announcement list. If you aren’t on the list, please email or call the church office at (217) 367-5353 with questions.
Priorities & Questions 2020-2021
(images and explanations)
1) Remain faithful as a congregation living in the face of pandemic.
2) Encourage diversity and honor difference, being true to our Anabaptist belief that truth is discerned together.
3) Continue the ordination journey begun with Laura Brenneman-Fullwood and congregational support for Laura and Pastor Michael as we relate to Illinois Mennonite Conference..
1) What does it mean to be church as generations, expectations, priorities and lifestyles change?
2) What are we being called to use our Local Mission Initiative Fund for?
3) Does FMC’s long-held priority of working for racial justice, held by many individuals, call us to make this an institutional commitment?
Search our book collection on the librarything website. The “tag” tells where the book is located in our library, near the sanctuary entrance. Kids’ books are downstairs.
9/30 – Fellowship opportunity via Zoom (10:30a)
10/1 – Bible studies via Zoom (7a & 9:30a)
10/4 – Worship live stream (9:15a)
10/4 – Youth Sunday school via zoom (11:30a)
10/4 – Young adults get-together via zoom (7p)
Check our event calendar for more details.