Following Christ, Nurturing Community, Seeking a Just PeaceJoin Us Sundays | Worship 9:15 | Fellowship 10:45 | Sunday School 11:15
First Mennonite Church of Champaign-Urbana is an inclusive congregation trying to follow Jesus by loving God and all our neighbors, caring for one another, and joining the struggle for justice and peace. You are invited to come walk with us!
First Mennonite Church, and
Illinois Mennonite Conference
On February 15, 2020, our regional denominational body, Illinois Mennonite Conference, created policy on clergy and same-sex marriage that affects FMC members and credentialed clergy. Read our statement to learn more about the meeting, policy, and expected next steps.
“We are committed to blessing, and being blessed by, persons who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer. We welcome and affirm LGBTQ persons for membership, marriage, ministry, and staff positions. We affirm our pastors’ full participation in pastoral care, rites, and blessings for all individuals and families, including pre-marital counseling, weddings, and child dedications.” [Read our full commitment to lgbtq+ inclusion]
WORSHIP STREAMING ONLINE
Sundays at 9:15 am
This Sunday, June 28, we will celebrate the ordination of Laura Brenneman-Fullwood.
Friends and family of Laura are welcoming to join us via YouTube or Zoom (link information below).
If you attend today’s service of ordination, please sign the guestbook.
Visit the Orders of Worship to follow along or watch recordings of recent services:
- August 2 – Matthew 20:1-16
- August 9 – Matthew 21:28-41
- August 16 – Matthew 22:1-14
- August 23 – Matthew 24:32-35
- August 30 – Matthew 25: 14-46
PRACTICE PHYSICAL DISTANCING
All in-person Sunday activities, including worship services, are canceled until further notice. The church building and offices are also closed until further notice. Staff remain available by email and phone.
During this time, priority congregational updates will be shared through the First Mennonite Church email announcement list. If you aren’t on the list, please email or call the church office at (217) 367-5353 with questions.
Priorities & Questions 2020-2021
(images and explanations)
1) Remain faithful as a congregation living in the face of pandemic.
2) Encourage diversity and honor difference, being true to our Anabaptist belief that truth is discerned together.
3) Continue the ordination journey begun with Laura Brenneman-Fullwood and congregational support for Laura and Pastor Michael as we relate to Illinois Mennonite Conference..
1) What does it mean to be church as generations, expectations, priorities and lifestyles change?
2) What are we being called to use our Local Mission Initiative Fund for?
3) Does FMC’s long-held priority of working for racial justice, held by many individuals, call us to make this an institutional commitment?
Search our book collection on the librarything website. The “tag” tells where the book is located in our library, near the sanctuary entrance. Kids’ books are downstairs.
7/29 – Fellowship opportunity via Zoom (10:30a)
7/30 – Bible studies via Zoom (7a & 9:30a)
8/2 – Worship live stream (9:15a)
8/2 – Young adult fellowship via Zoom (7p)
Check our event calendar for more details.